Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Living In My Mother's Basement


It has been 4 years since I last lived at home. After my return from my mission to Japan, I lived at home for just 5 months until I started school in the fall of 2007 at Utah State University. Now that I have graduated, looking for a job, and planning on beginning my MBA degree at Weber State University in the fall, I have returned to my home that I grew up in, to the same room I slept in as a teenager.

The crazy thing is that I am 25 years old and living in my mom's basement. Once again I have house chores, yesterday I mowed the lawn and today I am doing the dishes. As I begin this blog, I have been pondering over whether or not to tell my mom about the blog. I suspect that I will write about the things that she says to me and the interactions that we have with one another. I know that if she reads the blog I may censor thoughts that I would otherwise not censor, but who knows she seems to have a good sense of humor. Recently, my mom has been telling me that I need to make sure that the toilet seat is put down after I use it, and she is really picky about the towels, and I am not to touch some of her favorite snacks.

One of my initial fears about moving back to the basement is that of not finding a job. If I do not have something to keep me busy, I will go crazy. I will never hear the end of it from my mom. I am sure that every day she will be asking me about what I am doing and why I am not doing this or that, and she will tell me what I should be doing. The mountain that I have to climb is that of getting out of the basement as much as possible. This blog is titled, living in my mother's basement, but I hope to not have to write about ever actually being in the basement. I must admit, the fact that my mother does not have ESPN will also help me stay out of the basement. One of the perks of being home is to have a room to myself again, though it is a bit lonely. My bed is also queen size in which I have never had before.

I have only been here for two days and so this first blogs purpose is to express some of my initial thoughts. Hopefully as I move forward I will have fun things to write about and share. It is good to be home again to be able to renew friendships once more and hopefully have chances to give back to those who helped me as I was growing up. Though I am in my mother's basement, I look forward to the days ahead, I will certainly do my best to make the most of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment