Total Pageviews

Monday, July 11, 2011

Living in my Mother's Basement Wk 9-10: Tis the Season

I skipped my blog last week due to the holiday called the 4th of July.  That is my excuse at least, it is not because I was lazy or anything like that.  I don't know what it means to be lazy, I have a full time job of looking for a job and I do it for free.  My 4th of July started with a 5k fun run that really was not very fun.  My goal was to run the 5k in under 22 minutes, I did not make it, though I did come close at 22 minutes and 30 seconds.  The same time I got last year when I ran the race.  I probably would have ran better but I was lacking energy considerably that morning and maybe should have gone to bed a bit earlier.  The first half of the run went well, I ran with ease and confidence but as the second half of the race came about, the course  turned to uphill which was the start of my downhill.  The last half of the run was a fight, a fight to finish and a fight not to throw up.  It was a relief as I returned back onto the track and rounded to the finish line.  In hindsight, not sure why I ran the 5k, I did not get a thing for my efforts except for a t-shirt.  I got another t-shirt in the parade and all I had to do was sit there.   I even had to pay $30 to enter the race.  Pay to run, what a novel idea and for some reason it works.  If I had run a half marathon or even a marathon I probably would have had to pay more.  No wonder people are getting more fat!  Pay to run, novel idea.

Yes, this is my face at the parade
After the race, I helped a new girl move into the ward and then I went back to Kaysville for the parade.  The parade was a moshpit, I did well to fight off all the kids who came between me and the candy being thrown out at the parade.  Without the candy there would be no reason to attend the parade.  A parade around these parts is just an hour long advertisement, all the local dance studios and eateries and dentists and yogurt shops all advertising as we all watch with glee like this is a once in a year opportunity to find out about where to eat for lunch or go to the dentist.  

In the afternoon we had our traditional family and friends BBQ.  After the parade, I was wasted and as soon as I got home I laid down on the couch in the nice cool basement and fell asleep.  After about 10 minutes of sleeping I wake up to my mom yelling at me to get outside and setup for the BBQ.  We still had two hours but I still had to go setup right then.  So I sleep walked outside and pulled out some tables and chairs and began to fill the swimming pools for the kids.  The 4th was a tiring day...
Best part of the parade!
The BBQ lasted from 4 to 8 and then we headed to the fireworks back in the retched city of the high and mighty Kaysville.  I must say I do miss seeing all the weirdos that attend the Layton fireworks, you know the type of people that you did not know existed untill they finally crawl out of there caves for the 4th of July.  They don't seem to have those in Kaysville.  I think it is because Kaysville people are racist against people that live in caves.  Anyways, the fireworks were good and the local authorities made us sing happy birthday to America.  It seemed a bit strange but whatever, nothing like singing happy birthday to the dirt I am laying on.

Job searching is still a continuous event in my life.  I may find a job someday, I think my next step is to search my family line for a rich uncle that will hire me on somewhere.   Today I applied at Intermountain Healthcare for a Human Resource opening.  I have applied 4 times before, never have got an interview but hey, maybe this time will be different.    Last week some company offered me a job without interviewing me,  the English was not very good in the email and I decided that it probably was not in my best interest to take the job.  The other day I went to what I thought was an interview with Whipple Plumbing and Heating.  When I got there I noticed other people dressed up arriving as well, that is when I decided that this interview was going to be odd, and it was.  40 people at the interview, I sat for 2 hours filling out a 10 page application and waiting for my turn to be asked 2 questions.  I had to listen to everyone else get questioned also.  It was an enjoyable experience, thank you MR. Whipple!
Advertisement #85, now I know where to get my car washed
other things going on in my life are church stuff galore and sports.  I have been able to play tennis a bit more as of late, which has been nice.  I also have been going to church softball.  My team is not great but they try, whenever the other team hits the ball into the outfield it is always fun to watch our players run up as the ball flies 15 feet over there head.  We have fun, we just are not so good.  I also have had chances to play basketball, my shot has been good the last few weeks, so everybody better watch out!



War vets, aren't they cool!





nieces and nephew waiting for candy
The other day my mom was sweating and she decided that she wanted to tell me about her menopause to explain her hotness.  Needless to say I did not really want to talk about her menopause or her hotness.  Maybe I should be a better son and talk more openly about things like that, I don't know. Speaking of hotness, I still am going to the gym just have not been able to make it to my favorite strength conditioning classes with the crazy instructor.  My pants are getting more loose as of late and so I take that as a good sign.  Maybe I can get a job in Vegas now as a Chippendale.  No, I am too hot for that now to.

Well Peeps I must say that things are going, where they are going I do not know but they are.  Someday I will emerge out of my mother's basement and move back out into the real world.  Until then, this blog will keep on rolling along and you all will know everything you ever wanted about surviving and thriving in your mother's basement.  Peace!!!


Just waiting for fireworks, Yippee!


Firework

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the job hunt, Jas. It's a grueling process and you've been at it much longer than I. Congratulations on finishing your 5k without puking! That's truly great news. And yes, you should be more open with your mother and talking about hotness and menopause. She just needs a listening ear, that's all.

    You let me know when you're coming to Logan and I'll have an entire loaf of banana bread ready and waiting for you!

    ReplyDelete